wxHexEditor is another Free Hex Editor, build because there is no good hex editor for Linux system, specially for big files.
Low Level Data Recovery with wxHexEditor
wxHexEditor is not an ordinary hex editor, but could work as low level disk editor too.
If you have problems with your HDD or partition, you can recover your data from HDD or from partition via editing sectors in raw hex.
You can edit your partition tables or you could recover files from File System by hand with help of wxHexEditor.
Or you might want to analyze your big binary files, partitions, devices… If you need a good reverse engineer tool like a good hex editor, you welcome.
wxHexEditor could edit HDD/SDD disk devices or partitions in raw up to exabyte sizes.
- It uses 64 bit file descriptors (supports files or devices up to 2^64 bytes , means some exabytes but tested only 1 PetaByte file (yet). ).
- It does NOT copy whole file to your RAM. That make it FAST and can open files (which sizes are Multi Giga < Tera < Peta < Exabytes)
- You can work with delete/insert bytes to file, more than once, without creating temp file!.
- Could open your devices on Linux, Windows or MacOSX.
- Memory Usage : Currently ~25 MegaBytes while opened multiple > ~8GB files.
- Could operate with file thru XOR encryption.
- Has multiple views to show multiple files in same time.
- Has x86 disassembly support (via integrated udis86 library) to hack things little faster.
- Has colourfull tags to make reverse engineering easier and more fun.
- You can copy/edit your Disks, HDD Sectors with it.( Usefull for rescue files/partitions by hand. )
- Sector Indication on Disk devices, also has Go to Sector dialog…
- Formated CopyAs! It’s easy to copy part of a file in HEX format for C/C++ source, ASM source, also supports HTML,phpBB and Wiki page formats with TAGs!!
- Supports Hex or Text editor alone operation.Also can disable Offset region.
- Supports customizeable hex panel formatting and colors.
- Allows Linux Process Memory Editing operations
- Comparison of binary files, allows merge of near results.
- Supports ***many*** encodings including almost all DOS/Windows/MacOS CPs and multi-character sets like UTF8/16/32, Shift JIS, GBK, EUC_KR…
- Decimal, Hexadecimal, Octal and LBA (“Sector+Offset”) addressing modes, (switchable one to another by right click of mouse on Offset panel.
- Save selection as a dump file feature for make life easier.
- “Find Some Bytes” feature for quickly find next meaningful bytes at file/Disk
- MD/RIPEMD/SHA/TIGER/HAVAL/CRC/ADLER/GOST/WHRILPOOL/SNEFRU checksum functions (via integrated mhash library.)
- Import & Export TAGs support from file.
- Written with C++/wxWidgets GUI libs and can be used with other OSes such as Mac OS, Windows as native application.
You may be interested in...
Compilation dependencies on Linux
You can find shortcuts of wxHexEditor at this wiki page.