This week on Lock and Code, we discuss the top security headlines generated right here on Labs and around the Internet. In addition, we talk to Emory Roane, policy counsel at Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, about parental monitoring apps.
These tools offer parents the capabilities to spot where their children go, read what their kids read, and prevent them from, for instance, visiting websites deemed inappropriate. And, for the likely majority of parents using these tools, their motives are sympathetic—being online can be a legitimately confusing and dangerous experience.
But where parental monitoring apps begin to cause concern is just how powerful they are.
Tune in to hear about the capabilities of parental monitoring apps, how parents can choose to safely use these with their children, and more, on the latest episode of Lock and Code, with host David Ruiz.
You can also find us on the Apple iTunes store, Google Play Music, and Spotify, plus whatever preferred podcast platform you use.
We cover our own research on:
- Several phishing campaigns that purport to originate from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) targeting COVID-19 relief applicants
- That Instacart breach
- How Ziggo, a Dutch ISP, communicated a device weakness that rubbed its recipients the wrong way
- What to do when Chrome app extensions do not offer the whole truth
Other cybersecurity news
- Intel experienced a leak due to “intel123″—the weak password that secured its server. (Source: Computer Business Review)
- Fresh Zoom vulnerabilities for its Linux client were demonstrated at DEFCON 2020. (Source: The Hacker News)
- Researchers saw an increase in scam attacks against users of Netflix, YouTube, HBO, and Twitch. (Source: The Independent)
- TikTok was found collecting MAC addresses from mobile devices, a tactic that may have violated Google’s policies. (Source: The Wall Street Journal)
- Several ads of apps labelled “stalkerware” can still be found in Google Play’s search results after the search giant’s advertising ban already took effect (Source: TechCrunch)
Stay safe, everyone!
The post Lock and Code S1Ep13: Monitoring the safety of parental monitoring apps with Emory Roane appeared first on Malwarebytes Labs.
You may be interested in...
If you like the site, please consider joining the telegram channel or supporting us on Patreon using the button below.